Sweet potato fries are suddenly very popular. Even our non-veggie eating daughter is suddenly into sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries, now that she is a “crossfitter”. Sadly, too many people end up buying a bag of frozen fries or tots. These are so easy, taste super yummy, are cheap to make, and if you cook them yourself, you know exactly what is in them! These are well worth the extra few minutes.
Everyone will love this one. You can make it fancy by making a curry dip for these. Just mix about a cup and a half of plain Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of curry powder, a squeeze of lime or lemon juice and salt and pepper. My friend the Organic Eater @organiceater tells me that honeymustard is great with these. She says that the secret to great honey mustard dressing is that it’s not just honey and mustard! Add mayo! These oven fries are so yummy though, I bet you don’t even think about the dip.
- Four medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (couple of tablespoons)
- Chopped fresh oregano (tablespoon or so)
- Chopped fresh garlic (couple of cloves)
- Chopped parsley (as garnish, after cooking)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges or sticks
- Toss them in a bowl with the lemon, oil and spices (except parsley)
- Spread them in a single layer on a baking dish
- Bake until golden brown and tender (about 30 minutes)
- You might want to flip them about half way through if your oven cooks hotter on the bottom than the top.
- When they come out of the oven, garnish them with the chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.