Jay and I work hard to get several servings of healthy vegetables at every meal. CSA members, Jonathan and Laura Olson, are also very committed to eating plenty of veggies, and shared this simple but delicious frittata recipe with me. It really isn’t a recipe because the ingredients change depending on what I have in the garden, but the main idea and method is always the same. I get the bacon and sausage from What’s Your Beef Butcher in Charlotte because their meat is from pasture raised animals, and they make their own sausage with no chemicals or preservatives.
• 5 Eggs
• Three slices of bacon chopped into pieces
• Three breakfast sausage patties
• Onions and garlic (chopped)
• Lots of veggies chopped small. My list this morning included the following:
• Half a zucchini
• One fingerling eggplant
• Six grape tomatoes
• One large red banana pepper
• Two big kale leaves
• Your favorite cheese. I used feta and cheddar this morning.
• Your favorite raw greens. I used mizuna this morning, but any will do.
• Your favorite chopped herbs such as parsley, chives, mint, basil or cilantro
• Preheat oven to 400
• In a cast iron skillet fry the bacon and sausage until it is browned and mixed well.
• Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant.
• Add all of the other veggies except the kale and cook about 5 minutes until softened
• Add the chopped kale and mix with the cooked veggies and meat
• Beat the eggs with a bit of cream.
• Remove the frying pan from the heat and add the beaten eggs
• Mix well. The eggs will begin to slightly thicken but shouldn’t be cooked.
• Add the cheese on top
• Pop into the oven for 10 minutes
• Turn on the broiler and barely brown the top. This should only take a few minutes. Watch it closely.
• It is done when the eggs are firmed up and the cheese is bubbly and barely starting to brown.
• Take out of the oven and cut like a pie.
• Serve on a bed of your favorite raw greens.
• Toss with chopped herbs
This hearty breakfast will stick with you all morning and it also contains at least three servings of vegetables. It is oh so yummy!
Eat your veggies,